Squad swimming is offered at both our Box Hill South Centre and Aqualink Box Hill dependent on the squad you are in.
Squad swimming is an important component of your child’s swimming journey, as it not only provides them with a fun introduction to swim training but also enables them to build stamina and technique. We feel the stronger your child is as a swimmer, the greater the enjoyment they will get out of water, and the safer they will be in a pool, the ocean, or any aquatic environment.
Squad training is a great way to make friends, whilst also greatly benefiting those participating in school swimming carnivals. Additionally, it is very effective in increasing fitness levels, with swimmers often reaping the benefits of other sports they participate in. Did you know Surrey Park was born from a group of footballers who realised the benefits that ensued from swim training?
After completing Development Squad, your child can either progress into Fitness Squad or Junior Squad. Fitness Squad is tailored to those who wish to continue swimming for fitness and enjoyment, whilst Junior Squad is suited to those who wish to progress into competitive swimming. However, the progression into this squad is influenced by your child’s commitment levels, ability and goals for swimming.
Squad sessions also cater to Multi-class swimmers (option to swim competitively) and Adult Squad swimmers. Adults in this squad may be simply wanting to become generally fitter, achieving a personal goal, or training for that triathlon (or other events).
A great introduction to the sport of swimming;
Great for fitness;
Squad swimming gives your child the best chance of being safe around water as stamina and technique are further developed;
Adult and Multi-Class Squads.
- After completing school aged level 5 students will progress into Development Squad to achieve a well rounded swimming education;
- This squad builds on distance and strength in freestyle, backstroke, butterfly and breaststroke while refining racing skills and survival strokes;
- Students can do a second session per week at no extra charge;
- A second session is recommended after a term in this level.
After completion of this level, a swimmer will move into Fitness Squad or be invited to become a member and join Competitive Swimming.
- Aims to improve technique and general fitness;
- Its a great option for anyone wanting to do cross training or continue swimming training with busy schedules;
- Swimmers should be comfortable swimming for 90 minute sessions and completing an average of 3km per session;
- There are no minimum training requirements for this squad. Maximum of 3 sessions per week.
- Invitation to join competitive swimming is based on swimmers goals, level of commitment and ability;
- Squads commence at the Junior level and progress through to Open High Performance where swimmers are competing for spots on the Australian Swimming Team.
Multi Class Squad
- For people who have a physical or intellectual disability;
- These students are unable to participate in mainstream squads;
- All sessions held in the indoor 25 metre pool at Aqualink Box Hill.
- For those who graduated advance lessons or middle-aged swimmers with previous swimmer experience;
- This squad works on increasing stamina and speed and can be tailored to upcoming fun swims or other events swimmers are aiming towards;
- New drills, sets and the pace clock are introduced and can be tailored to upcoming fun swims or personal goals;
- Sessions are held in the 25-metre indoor pool.
Development Squad – Weeknights;
Fitness Squad – Tuesday to Friday;
Multi-Class Squad – Weeknights;
Squad duration is dependent on squad enrolled in;
Squads run according to school terms.
What to bring to your lesson?
Swimming caps, goggles and water bottles are required at each training session. Kick boards and flippers may be required but can be borrowed from the Surrey Park Swimming store room after you speak with your coach.
- Students will receive 15% discount on the second lesson enrolled in per week during the term;
- The 3rd child and any thereafter enrolled from one family will receive 15% discount on term lesson fees;
- Students will receive 15% discount on their second or third week enrolled in during the holiday intensive program.
Missed a lesson?
Surrey Park Swimming offer one make up class per term if you are unable to attend a lesson and notify the swim school prior to the absence. Your make up class is subject to availability and is not guaranteed.
Surrey Park Swimming does not offer refunds.
If your child is unwell for two or more consecutive lessons, provide a dated medical certificate to Surrey Park Swimming reception to be considered for a credit. Credits will only be considered if you have notified the swim school of you student’s absence prior to their lesson.