Surrey Park Swimming Club was establised in 1904 in the old quarry (Surrey Dive) in Surrey Park, where local footballers used swimming as a form of cross training to improve their strength and fitness. Our Fitness Squads follow the same core principals that first established the club over 100 years ago.
Surrey Park Fitness squads are for individuals who are already compentent swimmers and provides an opportuntity for them to:
- Refine their swimming skills and technique, whilst improving their stamina
- Improve Fitness. Most sports involve a certain amount of cardiovascular fitness for peak performance. Swimming can greatly improve your cardiovascular strength, power, and efficiency, which will add a new dimension to your athletic performance and overall health.
- Enhance Recovery. Assuming that you are performing regular high intensity workouts, mixing in light workouts in the water can enhance your muscle recovery to prepare you for the next level of competition.
- Prevent Injuries. Overuse injuries are often the culprit of aerobic sports but can also affect those athletes who play their respective sport twelve months per year. Muscle imbalance, biomechanical errors, and inadequate recovery are just a few of causes of chronic or recurrent musculoskeletal injuries in sports. You can avoid over-training by substituting swimming for other sport specific workouts.
Targeted at triathletes and surf lifesavers, this squad focuses on improving and maintaining speed and endurance of established swimmers. Swimmers may attend up to 3 sessions per week
- Monday: 7.30pm to 8.45pm, at Hawthorn Aquatic and Leisure Centre
- Tuesday: 7.00pm to 8.30pm at Boroondara Sports Complex
- Thursday: 7.30pm to 8.45pm, at Hawthorn Aquatic and Leisure Centre
Payment Terms: Monthly Direct Debit in advance
Targeted at individuals seeking to improve and maintain endurance, range of motion and core body strength. Suitable for former competitive swimmers and athletes focused on other competitive sports or activities seeking complementary low impact cross training
- Location: Aqualink Box Hill
- Days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
- Length: 60 minutes
- Payment Terms: By school terms upfront
Performance Fitness Squads – Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings
Teen Fitness Squads – Tuesday to Thursday evenings;
Teen session runs for 60 mins, Performance sessions run for up to 90 mins;
Teen Fitness Squads run according to school terms, Performance Fitness runs all year.
What to bring to your training session?
Swimmers in Teen Fitness Squads will need to bring their own fins, Surrey Park swimming cap, goggles and water bottles.
Swimmers in Performance Fitness Squad should bring goggles and a water bottle, other equipment requirements will be communicated directly by the coach.
Surrey Park Swimming does not offer refunds.
If your swimmer is unwell for two or more consecutive lessons, please provide a signed and dated medical certificate to Surrey Park Swimming reception to be considered for a credit. Credits will only be considered if you have notified the club of your swimmer’s absence prior to their session.
Credits are provided at the absolute discretion of management and are not guaranteed, any credits issued will be valid for 12 months, are not transferrable, and cannot be refunded.